Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Into the Woods

For the first time in several years, I'm actually enjoying the costumes and props duties of a production! It sure is easier to get motivated and get things done in a more timely way when I'm having fun doing it. The storms came through last night and our power was on and off this morning so I wound up dipping the buns and rolls in polyurethane in the dark. Literally. I was doing it at 5:00 am and it was absolutely pitch black in the house except for the flashlight. The bread needs to bake a few more hours and then I can coat it with the poly. What the hell am I doing, you ask? This is stage setting for the play. They need an assortment of breads for the baker's shop and the cheapest, easiest, fastest way to get it done was buy a bunch of different kinds of day old bread, bake it overnight on a warm setting on the oven and then seal it with the poly. We'll probably wind up adding some color to some of it and maybe frosting it with drywall mud "icing" before all is said and done.

The dresses are cobbled together from some basic ready-to-wear pieces from the Salvation Army. The Snow White bodice was originally a very expensive suit jacket and I just replaced the sleeves and added the collar and skirt. Some cheap accessories from the Dollar Tree and it's good to go. The gold and silver dress was originally 2 separate dresses that I just cut the skirt off the silver one and added it to the gold one. A yard or so of the silver and gold fabrics and it's done.

1 comment:

Rissa said...

You did an amazing amount of work, especially with the power outage. LOL I enjoyed lunch and appreciate the loan of the serger. Now, I just need to get to work on some things. LOL