Friday, April 07, 2006

Time flies!

I had no idea it had been so long since I posted. Life gets in the way of so much these days it seems. I can't complain too badly though, since good things are happening. A local artist showcase last week resulted in 2 sales and some strong interest in 2 other pieces. Considering I only displayed a total of 6 pieces for sale, that's not too shabby. I have pieces to be shipped to a gallery in Yankeeland SOON, and a display space panel in a 'story board' display at the Hennepin County Gov't building. That exhibit goes up in Aug I believe and I've promised a Katrina piece, most likely with the FEMA tarps and other detritus I've collected on the coast. I have a germ of an idea for the design, but it's fermenting just like the debris piles down there are. I'm hoping to use nothing but materials I've collected from the Bay and Waveland without going into my existing stash. The mounds and mounds of donated clothing, and the debris from gutted houses provides plenty of raw material to work with.
The last 2 weeks have been spent on set design for the high school musical and the resultant enforced break from doing any quilt-related work. It's good to be back to thinking about fabric instead of Luan plywood now though, and I have 3 quick sketches I made this morning for new pieces. My "Midnight Garden" got a lot of attention at the show, which surprised me since it's WAAAYY off my normal style, and I have an idea for another one sort of along the same lines. They are quick, easy, and very graphic, although I'm not sure it's something I want to do on a regular basis.

No comments: