Thursday, August 28, 2008

"The Storm"

It's been a week of unbelievable tragedy and crisis for someone I love very much, so my posting and working has suffered. I've done some mindless piecing on a quilt sort of loosely based on one I saw earlier in the week (thanks Rosemary!) that was loosely based on one she saw in a magazine. It is morphing from what I started with to something a little more involved, but the base idea is still there.

The only piece I have actually finished this week is the one I did for the Breaking Traditions show. It's another Katrina piece using some more of my debris, and it was another one that was hard to work through. The storm pieces are getting easier, but still not (maybe never) easy. And now we're all on edge with Gus wandering around. This piece is 12"x12" and constructed on a commercial print cotton base using blue tarp, a scrap of Army fatigue, reverse appliqued Red Cross, scraps and bits and orts of MRE packaging, nails, a chunk of roofing, and a bunch of other stuff. A paint-covered screwdriver, a beaded cross, and some Mardi Gras doubloons from the 70s. Between working on this piece, the personal crisis and the nerves from Gus, I'm about wiped out emotionally this week.
OK, enough whining and on to the picture!

3 comments:

Winter Wanderings said...

Such a timely piece. I'm in Houston where we are keeping an eye on Gus, too. Hope he remains small and friendly.

Lisa Dunn said...

I am sorry for the pain and sadness in your and your loved one's life.

I love the quilt. I think the band-aide on FEMA is a very eloquent statement. I like the keys along the right side too, although it makes me sad to think about their doors that are no longer there. Beautiful piece.

Debi said...

Awesome quilt, you are so very talented. I hope everything works out for your loved one! I am inviting you to participate in a Fall into Fall Quilters Blog giveaway that I am hosting. Come on over and check it out.