Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Gettin' it in gear


"Quarter Note" is going to the art show with me Friday if I get it finished in time. I feel like I will once I can decide on a quilting pattern for it. It's anchored now in the ditch on the vertical seams but I need to do something else with it too. Not sure what, but at least I have this much of it done. That's progress at any rate.

"Good Wishes" is also going. I have no doubt it will be finished since there's very little left to do on it. The print at the top is the backing and I intentionally left it showing in the pic because the pins at the bottom right sort of show the placement of one of the groups of flowers on the back. My intention is to do some bobbin work with the gold thread to outline the cluster of flowers so they show on the front. The backing fabric won't actually be visible from the front unless I decide to use it for the binding though.

The round piece is a felt tree skirt I got at Dollar Tree back around Christmas and then forgot about. I added some foiling, painting, stenciling and thread work to the original felt in several different golds and stamped the small black symbols. I'll have to get better pictures of the details in a close-up shot and get them posted once I'm through with it. The gold mesh is quilted in flowing, wavy vertical lines with the gold thread. Not sure yet what sort of quilting I'll do inside the circle or on the black, but I'm sure I'll have some flash of inspiration soon enough.

2 comments:

Rissa said...

Oh, very interesting! I love Quarter Note. :-)

Tanya Brown said...

Oh, wow. I'm glad I poked my head in and saw these. (I'm also annoyed at my RSS reader for not telling me that you had a newish post.)

These are amazing. So textural and elegant. Knowing that you got the felt skirt at Dollar Tree makes the piece more special, somehow, and I don't mean that in a tongue-in-cheek way. Obviously you saw it, saw its potential, and now have transformed it into something more wonderful than it could have aspired to be.

Are you the person who mentioned coveting the "Japanese Border Designs" book that I found at a library booksale? Thought I'd mention that Dover now has a new, better one out with a CD in it.

I'm getting ready to try the blue gel glue as a resist. Questions may be forthcoming ...

I hope you have a lovely day at the art show!